Thread: How do you guys know exactly where your big bucks are bedding?

Default How do you guys know exactly where your big bucks are bedding?

I'm curious to hear how you all go about this. I myself struggle with this not knowing 100% for sure where a particular buck Is bedding. Also, do you believe there bedding area's change through out the fall? How do you know this as well? I don't want to hear opinion's, I want to hear facts that have proof.

Well I know that on our property we own the bucks bed in random places through out the season.
    Sorry gotta leave soon so I'll try and add more later.
    Team Slayer Outdoors

NC+ Seed Company, Double Z Decals, Madge & Nettie's Cupboard, Prairie Spirit Realty/United Country Realty, StarrFlight FOB

u gotta do alot of scouting get cameras up by rubs and go look for beds put a camera up there just go sit in your stand and watch where the coming from it takes alot of time i no for sure if it's like willows and brush they pick the thickets and if it's like forest they try to head for pines i do alot of scouting and i seem to have ok luck with it

I've never known exactly where a mature buck beds, but the year before last season I was able to narrow down where a 4 1/2 year old was bedding during the month of October. Due to the lay of the land and the view that I had from my bowstand (which was more of an observation stand) I was able to pin down where he was coming from in the evenings. I seen him over a dozen times, and came close to getting him within bowrange a couple of times. This particular buck bedded on top of a tight draw that allowed him security cover, and escape cover through the form of topography. It was open mature woods below him and the fact that he was in a tight draw that ran northeast to southwest made for swirliing wind that didn't allow for me to move in tight on him with a stand. Everytime I seen him leave his bedding area he had the wind in his face or at the very least quarting to him. I tried to move in on him but due to my conservative approach I never was able to seal the deal. When November hit I never seen him again and he was shot on opening weekend of our rifle season a 1/2 mile from where I had all the encounters with him.

Did he move his core bedding area during November? I don't know, never caught up with him to find out. What I do know is he had been visible in the same area the season prior and I believe that his core area was the same when he was 4 1/2 as when he was 3 1/2. One lesson that I took from this experience is to go for broke if you have a buck pinned down mid to late october, november will bring on the chase of does and if you think you know where a good one is living you don't have anything to lose by pushing the envelope a little. I don't know if I answered your question but this is the closest experience I have had involving knowing a particular bucks bedding area.
    Last edited by kurtish; 02-15-2009 at 03:45 PM.
    no shed left behind

Anybody who claims to know EXACTLY what a mature buck does 24-7-365 is L-Y-I-N-G.... the best anybody can do is make an assumption but like most critters deer move and change habits with pressure and food availability.

I agree with pbrown, it's a guess at best. But there are things you can do to get the odds in your favor. Scout, scout, scout, and then scout some more. Wintertime is a great time to find those bedding areas and how they relate to the activity areas where you're hunting. What is your ratio of days scouting to days hunting? And yes the bucks will move and use different bedding areas throughout the fall depending on what's going on.
    We cannot continue to do the same things over and over and expect different results

Like others have said you reall can never know where a buck is always going to bed.

Well on our property and other properties we hunt we find many random large beds in different places. With the help of trail cams we can get a good idea what bucks what size and age are on our property for the most part.
    They will been seen on camera and with our eyes coming from different locations in the evenings most likely coming from their beds(but not positive).

Deer and big mature bucks mainly, do what they want.
    And pressure can make things like bedding locations change.
    Team Slayer Outdoors

NC+ Seed Company, Double Z Decals, Madge & Nettie's Cupboard, Prairie Spirit Realty/United Country Realty, StarrFlight FOB

I scout my arse off and I never know where those big guys are resting....
    Steve

Thread Information