Thread: Warmbag Review

Default Warmbag Review

Well I borrowed a warmbag from one of my friends for the last couple days, and thought I would come on here and give those wondering about it a review..

First of all, it comes rolled up in its own little carrying bag, so getting it to the stand and back is a breeze. It packs well and is very light to carry..A+ in that department.

Second, putting it on in the stand is also very easy. A+ for that also...

Third, warmth is pretty good..I sat the last two afternoons from about 1 til 530, temps between 20-25. I sat in an under armor cold gear base layer, and my uninsulated guide series pants, and just the inner liner of my 3-in-1 parka, wool socks and my alphaburleys with 800 grams of thinsulate, and light gloves. I was never once cold. I should mention that I took my hand out of it to see how long it took to get cold, and my fingers were stinging within 15 mins... I was expecting it to be a little warmer that it was, but considering I was wearing two layers less than I wouldve been wearing, I cant complain...

Getting my arms in and out of the bag for a shot took a little practice, but it is getting easier as I get the hang of it. It is obviously not as fast and convenient as not having it on, but in my opinion, the benefits far outweigh the risks. I probably would be a little reluctant to wear it in really thick stuff where a deer could sneak up on me, but the stuff I hunt usually isnt like that.

The main thing I like about it is that I can dress lightly for packing in and out so I dont have to worry about getting sweaty hanging my stands, but can still sit and stay warm all day. I cannot compare this thing to the Heater Body Suit, since I have not had a chance to try it, but I have a friend who has one of them, so if I happen to borrow it, I will let all you guys know how I think it compares...

The warmbag has a few kinks to work out yet, mostly zipper noise issues, but it sounds like that issue is being looked at and will be changed for next year. All that said, for the first year of the product, I think it does pretty well, and it sounds like next year's version will be better yet. I am pretty sure I will be ordering one, and with their one year satisfaction guarantee, you really cant go wrong.
    -Mathews DXT, Spot-Hogg Real Deal, QAD HD, STS, Limbsaver X-Coil, Vapor Trail, GT Pro Hunters, and Slick Tricks..

Do you think there is a lot of overall movement when attempting to get out of it to grab your bow and get a shot off?

Honestly, I dont think so..and once I get better at getting out of it, it will be alot better...

The reason I say that I dont think there is alot of overall movement is because 1) as you stand up, your legs and everything are inside the bag, so from the ground, I think it would just look like the bag raising up...2) As you slide the zippers down, all the movement is inside the bag, so your hands would not be seen...I then found it easiest places both my hands in front of my chest and just stick my hands straight out to the sides..from there, its no different than it would be without the bag..although it takes a little more time since you have to unzip and everything (like turning to the left or right) just takes a little more time, I honestly dont feel like there is any more motion involved in it than there is without the bag..and I dont feel like there is any more motion (possibly less) involved with this vs the heater body suit...
    -Mathews DXT, Spot-Hogg Real Deal, QAD HD, STS, Limbsaver X-Coil, Vapor Trail, GT Pro Hunters, and Slick Tricks..

Who makes the Warm Bag? I have never heard of it!

Do they have a website? And could you post a pic, too?

Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    Who makes the Warm Bag? I have never heard of it!

Do they have a website? And could you post a pic, too?
    Its a pretty new product, and I think the company that makes it is called Staywoods or something like that..Its pretty much like a heater body suit, but with arm holes instead...

Their website is: http://www.thewarmbag.com/
    Attached Images Attached Images

I was thinking of one as well, and one for the wife even more. THanks for the review, I was at a banquet where a warmbag auctioned there for 210 bucks, which I believe with shipping is basically like buying one straight from the manufacturer. If you use the other, let me know. I think I will wait until the zipper noise is fixed a bit.....

Some people have sewed magnets on theirs to keep the arm holes closed, and then you can just push your arms out through the magnets. The one I borrowed had this modification, and Im not sure if his magnets are not as strong as they should be or something, but I found this to be completely worthless...Everytime my arm even bumped near the seam, the magnets fell open and it is really tough to get them all closed back up with your arms inside the thing. I think its a great idea; faster, no moving parts, and completely silent, but you would need some magnets with some pretty good strength so it kept it closed until you actually try to push your arms out through them. Apparently the new zippers are much quieter, so we'll see...

All in all, like I said, it is a very good product; it does exactly what it is intended to do, and that it to keep you warm. I just think they have a few kinks to work out, just like every other first year product. I doubt I'm going to get back out hunting this season anymore, but I could borrow the HBS and just use it out of a treestand in the backyard range to test the movement and ease of getting in and out of it to get a shot off, since Im curious as well...

Default Thanks for the review.

Glad to see our customers and their friends are able to stay out there in the woods when the temps start coming down. We always like to hear reviews or comments about the Warmbag.

Good luck and have a safe season.

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois59 View Post
    Glad to see our customers and their friends are able to stay out there in the woods when the temps start coming down. We always like to hear reviews or comments about the Warmbag.

Good luck and have a safe season.
    Hey Joe..welcome to the site! Glad to see ya here..

Default Well...

Took the Warmbag out this past weekend for its first real test (I forgot my boots at home, so had to sit in my tennis shoes, so it was really a test of its warmth).

Here are a few thoughts:

First thing I noticed is that when the fabric got cold, it got kinda stiff, and then it got kinda loud..not good. My girlfriend even said it was loud before I said anything about it. This is a huge issue to me..especially considering when this product is being used, its winter, and sound travels further in the woods because of all the leaves being off the trees.

The next issue I had was the arm zippers. There was a situation where we had two does come in, and I was unable to stand up. My girlfriend was going to possibly get a shot, so I decided that I should get my camera out, which was in my pocket. There is a string that goes across your chest that pulls both the arm zippers down, and it works somewhat well when you are standing (not as well as it would in theory because the shoulders get pulled in when you pull on it rather than down), but when you are sitting, it is nearly impossible to get the zippers down.

Also, while I think a sitting shot would be next to impossible with this bag, which is somewhat of a concern to me because I actually like shooting while sitting.

It was, however, warm. And I loved the ease of putting it on, and the ease of carrying it out to the stand. My issue is that had any of those deer been shooters, I dont think I could've got a shot if I needed to..

Although they have a few issues to work out, I think this is still a pretty good product and the idea good, but Im still not convinced its for me..

SOOO...Today I ordered a Heater Body Suit. It should be here later this week, and I cant wait to try it out. I will be sure to write up a complete review later with a comparison between the two products after I have some time to use both..and possibly even a new video if I get time..

Thread Information