Thread: Homemade tick repellent

Default Homemade tick repellent

I found this info and thought that I would share. With lyme's disease becoming such a common thing these days, anything that we can do to help us NOT catch it is a good thing.

Make your own tick repellent, gallons on the dollar!

Permethrin is the active ingredient in all of them that truly work. What you need to do is head down to tractor supply or lowes. Usually you can get a bottle of concentrate called Ortho Total Kill or a strait bottle of concentrate. If you get the Ortho, its a 2.5% permethrin, youll will mix this 5:1 with water. this gives you the same concentrate as No Stinkn Ticks or Sawyers. Check the bottle to see what your percentage is, obviously if its higher than 2.5 you need to redo the ratio to make it the same. If you have trouble finding this like i said you can find other brands. it will be in the same isles. just look at the ingredients, if its got at least 2.5% permethrin you're good to go. tc sells one called permethrin-10 which is 10% and made for horses. in that case you would need a 20:1 mix

Put that concoction in a cheap spray bottle from the dollar store or where ever. Take it outside with all your clothes you plan to wear and DOUSE IT! DO NOT LET THIS MAKE CONTACT WITH YOUR SKIN OR SPRAY YOUR SKIN DIRECTLY JUST LIKE OTHER TICK PRODUCTS. Let it dry outside until its 100% dry. Next time you hunt, you wont have a tick in sight. I lay it heavy on my pants cuffs, shirt cuffs, socks, anywhere you see they can get in.

If a tick gets on you, youll see it get sick quick and fall off. Its also... scent free. And will withstand up to 6 weeks of use or 6 washes whichever comes first.

Use at your own risk but like I said, you can make gallons for the cost of one bottle of the other stuff. I found this on another forum awhile back and figured I would pass it on.

Last edited by Stump; 04-08-2011 at 10:46 AM.

Very interesting!

I have gotten more and more serious about spraying down my clothes with permethrin repellents over the last few seasons when sprring scouting and turkey hunting. Ticks are getting worse, even in areas with low deer densities.

Thanks stump! I think I'll make up some of this for 3D shoots and stuff.. especially since the girlfriend is DEATHLY afraid of woodticks..haha
    -Mathews DXT, Spot-Hogg Real Deal, QAD HD, STS, Limbsaver X-Coil, Vapor Trail, GT Pro Hunters, and Slick Tricks..

I think I will go with the bug screen suit before I wear clothing with that kind of chemical on it. It just seems so nasty. Then again my skin reacts if my wife used the wrong laundry soap.

Quote Originally Posted by 10_Points or better View Post
    I think I will go with the bug screen suit before I wear clothing with that kind of chemical on it. It just seems so nasty. Then again my skin reacts if my wife used the wrong laundry soap.
    It does seem like a homebrew that if you got too close to an open flame you'd go straight up into a ball of flames doesn't it? lol

I know the horse spray we use it says on the bottle do not use on humans. One horse we have will shed skin like crazy if we use it on him.

Quote Originally Posted by 10_Points or better View Post
    I'm the same way. Got to find something though. I was in the woods for twenty minutes today and had 4 deer ticks on me

Default Thanks!

I will try anything! I get totally hammered by the seed ticks in the summer while filming velvet footage....I think I would even take my chances by spraying a diluted solution straight on my legs...
    Man vs. Whitetail - Prostaff

Gotta try something. Had 10 ticks dug in on me yesterday. Just had blood drawn today for testing. I have been having joint pain so I figured it was time to get in. Hate those little buggers.

Quote Originally Posted by buck1765 View Post
    Gotta try something. Had 10 ticks dug in on me yesterday. Just had blood drawn today for testing. I have been having joint pain so I figured it was time to get in. Hate those little buggers.
    10? Your wife making you sleep outside again? That's a lot of ticks!

No. She let me back in the house for now. I have had 20 dug in and probably pulled off a couple hundred crawling on me. I must be a tick magnet!!!!!!!!!! The Dr. said that they have to be dug in for over 24 to sometimes 48 hours before they can transmit, but I am not willing to trust those numbers.

not a fan of ticks either

Thread Information