Thread: Your ideas on this head scratcher

Default Your ideas on this head scratcher

My 11 y/o son and I were out last week for the MEA youth hunt and had an interesting scenario play out in front of us. Thursday morning we had a nice mature buck walk by us giving my son a 20ish yard broadside shot with his 20 ga. The buck dropped in his tracks and kicked sporatically for close to 5 minutes while we watched him waiting to expire. It didn't. It kicked itself over once, then stumbled to it's feet before falling over again about 10 feet away. It then immediately got up and stumbled into a small thicket of brush nearby. I got a little concerned at that point, so we got out of the stand and went over to see where it went. Once we got close it snorted at us with authority, we heard a couple steps and then silence, it was gone, presumably via mowed horse trails. I really don't want to hear monday morning quarterbacking about why I didn't have my son unload his gun on it, I've done some of that myself. I want your opinion on where this buck was hit that would cause him to act like he did. Where he dropped, there were two small circles of dark blood (<5 inches round) and a small amount of darker hair. He didn't lose a drop of blood after that (we looked for a good 4 hours and the thicket was too small for us to have overlooked him. My thoughts are that he shot high because the deer was in taller grass and he couldn't see the bottom of the deer. Perhaps he hit some sort of a muscley void above the vitals and below the spine just enough to stunned the heck out of it. Has anything similar to this ever happen to any of you guys? What are your thoughts?

he could have hit the base of the horn or he hit high on the back and took the top lobe of the spine off this will put them down but sometimes they can recover from these shots

Spine for sure. I have seen this myself....that buck got away too. Really had a pissed second guessing hunter after it took place. Sorry to hear that. We confirmed the spine hit on that buck as it got shot by another hunter that same week.
    Kwik-Strap "The Ultimate Strapping Device!"http://www.kwik-strap.com

Post I concur..

Sorry about your luck on that one, but I agree with the previous posts and speculate that you could have hit him in the base of the antler, or grazed his head, knocking him senseless and drawing some blood. It is most likely that you hit him high, grazing the spine rendering him temporarily incapacitated. Set out a couple of cams over scrapes and see if he is around.

MOTR
    Introduce your kids to the outdoors and they will have a friend for life!

Im with motr on this one..Head wound, or head graze shot is my number one guess..Which way was the deer walking? Left to right and broadside or right to left broadside?
    Hoyt Maxxis 31Bone Collector Edition-QAD Ultra HD-HHA-AI AS

I'm with DOR. The shot hit a vertebrae and temporarily paralyzed the deer. I've had experience with this one too...

Sorry for the bad luck, and don't beat yourself up. When they go down like a ton of bricks, you expect them to stay there....

Thanks for the thoughts. I did some research and what I found was a classic response of the shot hitting the spine above the spinal cord. If you can picture the spinal column/back strap area, there is a boney process that sticks up between the backstraps. What I read was that deer getting shot there will drop like a ton of bricks and flail around for a significant amount of time before "coming to" and getting up. What also was interesting was that I saw other reports where the deer actually flipped like ours did. Bummer of a deal to have that happen to any hunter, especially an 11 year old, but lots of good to. I'll bet that deer is physically in pretty good shape to excite another hunter another day and we certainly both learned alot when discussing how we'd handle a similar situation. The frustration ended up to be relatively short lived as he filled his bonus tag the next day after passing up a half dozen or so other deer. Our advice in a nutshell, if your deer ever flips like a crappie, you might want to introduce another bullet.

Very interesting. I could see what Dor said happen and I could also see it happen with grazing the base of the antler. To me that would have been where the dark hair came from. Sorry for your bad luck.

I have had this happen when doing a drive I shot a 10pt in the rack went down like a **** ton of bricks, I started walking up to him he trying to get back up so I put another one in him... then I was thinking to myself sense only 1 bullet hole but he went down on the first should started looking around then relized I guess I blew half his rack off I just thought It was busted! but don't give up he might come back around for a second chance!
    Hoyt Katera, HHA OL-5500 Bow Sight, Schaffer Fall Away, Fuse stabilizer, Vapor Trail, Gold Tip XT Hunters, Rage 2 Blade.

Thread Information